Established in 1940 on 341 acres of land, the Detroit Arsenal is an Army Materiel Command installation in Warren, Michigan, and is the headquarters of the Army’s Tank-automotive and Armaments Command. The arsenal is responsible for industrial production, research, development and engineering.
Designed by master industrial architect, Albert Kahn, Detroit Army Tank Plant, was the first ever built tank arsenal built for mass production of American tanks. The Detroit Army Tank Plant was one of two Army government-owned, contractor-operated tank production facilities. The 1995 Defense Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) recommended the realignment of Detroit Arsenal by closing and disposing of the Detroit Army Tank Plant; the plant was then closed in 1996, and some of the property was transferred to the city of Warren, where it is for reuse and development. Currently, the remainder of the facility remains located on Detroit Arsenal.