District At a Glance

Louisville District Fast Facts

Established in 1886, the Louisville District employs approximately 1,100 people in the five-state area of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio out of 43 field offices. The district has military, environmental and civil works missions.

Geographic Area

Civil works: 66,951 sq. miles in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, small area in Tennessee

Military: 306,000 sq. miles in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio

Military Mission

13 Army Installations

2 Air Force Installations

3 DoD sites

Worldwide support to Army and Air Force Reserve Centers

Installations Served: Fort Knox, Ky.; Fort Campbell, Ky.; Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio; Scott AFB, Ill.: Rock Island Arsenal, IL; Detroit Arsenal, MI

Environmental Mission 

Cleanup of DoD site contamination to protect public health and safety, and environment 

Civil Works Mission 

17 flood reduction and recreation reservoirs

7 locks and dams on the Ohio River

2 locks and dams on the Green River

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find navigational charts and maps?
Navigation Charts are available for purchase by internet from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore, or by calling the Government Printing Office toll-free at (866) 512-1800. Navigation charts are no longer available for purchase directly from Corps of Engineers' offices. All charts must be ordered through the U.S. Government Online Bookstore. For other Chart and Map resources see http://www.usace.army.mil/Library/MapsandCharts.aspx.

Ohio and Green river charts are available for download here.

How do I reserve a recreation site?
Visit www.recreation.gov or call 1(877)444-6777.

What is the America the Beautiful Pass and cost?
America the Beautiful Interagency Senior Pass (Age 62 and older) is $10 (if obtained in person at an issuing site); $20 (if obtained via mail order through USGS Store). America the Beautiful Interagency Access Pass (for persons with permanent disabilities) is FREE (if obtained in person at an issuing site); $10 (if obtained via mail order through USGS Store).

Where can I get the America the Beautiful Pass?
Passes may be obtained at hundreds of locations throughout the country, including many Federal sites where they are accepted. PLEASE be sure to call a site and verify they are still issuing the passes BEFORE you make a special trip to obtain a pass. The Louisville District projects that will issue the passes are: Nolin River Lake, Barren River Lake, Green River Lake, Rough River Lake, Monroe Lake, Cecil M. Harden Lake, Cagles Mill Lake, Patoka Lake, Caesar Creek Lake, William H. Harsha Lake, C.J. Brown Dam and Reservoir, Brookville Lake, Buckhorn Lake, Carr Creek Lake, and Cave Run Lake.

Passes may be obtained through USGS (888-275-8747, option 3), or http://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html

Senior Passes may be ordered online via the USGS Store. Applicants must fill out the Online Application and upload proof of residency and age. This may be done by photographing the document and uploading it to the order. In addition, a credit card payment of $20.00 is required ($10.00 fee for the Senior Pass, and an additional $10.00 document processing fee). Once the documentation is verified and payment is received, a pass, with the pass owner’s name pre-printed on it, will be issued to the applicant. If the applicant is unable to order online, a Paper Application will be accepted via mail with the same documentation and fees.

Access Passes may be obtained via mail order from USGS. Mail-order applicants for The Access Passmust submit a completed application, proof of residency and documentation of permanent disability, and pay the document processing fee of $10 to obtain a pass through the mail. Once the application package is received, the documentation will be verified and a pass, with the pass owner's name pre-printed on it, will be issued to the applicant.

Find more information about them at  http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm.

What are the boundaries of the Louisville District?
See a map of the Louisville District here.

I would like to change or alter a creek on my property -- Do I need a permit? 
Our Regulatory office can let you know. If the property in question is in Kentucky, call (502) 315-6692.  If it is in Indiana, call (502) 315-6685. The appropriate regulatory office for any other state can be found using the "Find a Regulatory Office" tool.

How do I join the Army?
To find information about joining the Army, please visit the U.S. Army website at http://www.army.mil or contact your local Army Recruiter.

Employment/Jobs/Working for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – How do I apply for a job?
All civilian job opportunities available with the Federal government, including USACE, are posted on USAJobs at http://www.usajobs.gov. USAJobs is the Federal Government's Official Job Site. One must apply for Federal jobs using the tools available (including a resume/resume builder).

Doing Business with the Corps – How do I contract with or do business with the Corps?
To get information regarding contracting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, please visit our Business With Us page. Information provided includes Small Business, USACE Business Opportunities on FedBizOpps, Central Contractor Registration (required to do business with the Corps), Federal Business Opportunities Website and e-mail information to direct your contracting questions to the Directorate of Contracting.

My Local Corps of Engineers Office – How do I find the office serving my geographical location of interest?
Please visit our Office Locator page and enter the zip code for your geographical area. Contact information for the Corps of Engineers office serving your geographical area of interest will be provided.

Freedom of Information Act Requests – Where and how do I make a FOIA request?
Please visit our FOIA page where you will find extensive information to include mailing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers and fax numbers of all of the USACE FOIA offices.