Beginning in July 1942, the former Camp Breckinridge served as a troop training facility with a capacity for 30,000 troops and included several small arms, hand grenade, and mortar ranges in Morganfield, Kentucky. It was used again for troop training from 1948-1949 and 1950-1953. In 1955, the camp was partially reactivated to provide Annual Field Training Support for summer National Guardsmen and Army Reserve Unit training and Army Units Special Field Training. The camp was declared excess in 1962.
The former Camp Breckinridge Range Complex No. 1 Munitions Response Site (MRS) East of Morganfield, Kentucky is a 20,766-acre area comprised of overlapping former ranges used from 1942-1962. It contained 33 former ranges (rifle, pistol, tank subcaliber, and machine gun small arms ranges, recoilless rifle ranges, grenade ranges, rocket ranges, demolition ranges, close combat ranges, and attack and assault courses) with direction of fire towards the center of the range complex. In addition, an 18-acre area of concern (the Mortar Round Site) is included because mortars were found in the area.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Louisville District manages the former Camp Breckinridge Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) project. Congress established the FUDS program in 1986 to address environmental concerns at properties that were previously under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Defense and owned by, leased to, or otherwise possessed by the United States at the time of actions leading to contamination by hazardous substances. By the Department of Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) policy, the FUDS program is limited to those real properties that were transferred from DoD control prior to 17 October 1986. USACE manages the FUDS program, which includes the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP) that addresses FUDS where military munitions may be present.