Shoreline Use, Permits and Licenses

The following Louisville District projects allow shoreline uses through permits and licenses in accordance with their lake’s Shoreline Management Plan:


Rough River Lake    (270) 257-2061
Nolin River Lake       (270) 286-4511
Barren River Lake    (270) 646-2055 
Buckhorn Lake         (606) 398-7251

The Shoreline Management Plan (SMP) for Barren River, Nolin River and Rough River Lakes is revised every five years. For additional information, visit the Barren, Nolin and Rough River Lakes Shoreline Management Plan page, or contact the project office at any of these lakes.

The Shoreline Management Plan (SMP) for Buckhorn Lake is revised every five years. For additional informtion, visit the Buckhorn Shoreline Management Plan page, or contact the project office.


C.M. Harden Lake     (765) 344-1570
Monroe Lake             (812) 824-9136
Cagles Mill Lake      (765) 795-4439

Click to view the C. M. Harden Lake Shoreline Management Plan, the Monroe Lake Shoreline Management Plan or the Cagles Mill Lake Shoreline Management Plan, or contact the Corps project office for more information.


Frequently Asked Questions

Permits - Permits are issued to authorize private use on project lands or waters such as boat docks, vegetation control, and erosion control structures.

Licenses - Licenses are issued to authorize non-exclusive use of the shoreline, to include private utility lines, improved pathways, special access for mobility impairment, private drives and roadways, boat ramps, turnarounds, and parking areas.

Consents to Easement - In addition to property the Government acquired in fee for project construction, all of our lakes have specific areas over which flowage easement rights were acquired. The Government may issue a Consent to Easement for non-habitable structures that do not jeopardize the Government’s right to flood the property and do not present an environmental or hazardous threat to the project.

Special Events - Activities for which special event permits may be required include, but are not limited to, water carnivals, boat regattas, music festivals, and dramatic presentations. Please contact the Park Manager for the specific Lake or Locks/Dams location directly for questions about Special Events/Activities or Facilities uses.

Regulatory Permits - Some permits are required for work even if it is on your own property. The Corps evaluates permit applications for essentially all construction activities that occur in the nation’s waters, including wetlands. Corps permits are also necessary for any work, including construction and dredging, in the nation’s navigable waters. For more information see the Operations Division Regulatory page or call 502-315-6733.