The Cannelton Locks and Dam is located on the Ohio River at mile 720.7 below Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is three miles upstream from Cannelton, Indiana. The navigation locks are located on the right descending bank or Indiana side of the river. The upper pool maintained above the dam extends upstream for a distance of 114 miles to the McAlpine Locks and Dam at mile 606.8 and for a short distance up Salt River.
The project was approved as a replacement for existing Locks and Dam 43, 44, and 45 on January 27, 1960, by the Secretary of Army under authority of Section 6 of the Rivers and Harbors Act approved March 3, 1909, as amended.
Cannelton Locks’ construction started in July 1963. The locks were placed in operation December 1966 and completed April 1967. Dam construction started in August 1965 and the dam was completed in 1974. The Overlook property, consisting of 128 acres, was initially built during construction of the project. The property was excessed in 1995 to the U.S. Fish