The Markland Locks and Dam is located on the Ohio River at mile 531.5 below Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is 26.5 miles upstream from Madison, Indiana and 3.5 miles downstream from Warsaw, Kentucky. The navigation locks are located on the Kentucky side of the river. The upper pool above the dam extends upstream for a distance of 95.3 miles to the Meldahl Locks and Dam at mile 436.0 and for a short distance up three navigable tributaries — the Miami, Licking, and Little Miami rivers.
The replacement plan for Ohio River Locks and Dams No. 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 by the Markland Locks and Dam was reviewed by the Board of Engineers for Rivers and Harbors and was approved by the Secretary of the Army on March 11, 1953, in accordance with the Rivers and Harbors Act approved March 3, 1909.
Hydroelectric Power Plant
Under license granted by the Federal Power Commission, Cinergy operates a hydroelectric plant at Markland Dam. Capacity of the plant is 81,000 kva. Operation of the plant is fully compatible with other purposes of the Markland project.
Markland Locks’ construction started in March 1956. The locks were placed in operation in May 1959. Dam construction started in April 1959 and was completed in June 1964.