The John T. Myers Locks and Dam is located on the Ohio River about 3.5 miles downstream from Uniontown, Kentucky, at mile 846.0 below Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The navigation locks are located on the right bank or Indiana side of the river. The upper pool maintained above the dam extends upstream for a distance of 69.9 miles to the Newburgh Locks and Dam at mile 776.1.
The project was authorized as replacement for existing Locks and Dam 48 and 49 on September 17, 1958, by Secretary of the Army under authority of Section 6 of the Rivers and Harbors Act approved March 3, 1909, as amended.
Uniontown Locks’ construction started in June 1965. The locks were completed and placed in operation in December 1969. Dam construction started in May 1970, and was completed in 1977. John T. Myers Locks and Dam, formerly Uniontown Locks and Dam, was renamed on October 12, 1996, by direction of Public Law 104-303. Mr. Myers retired from the 104th Congress as Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee’s Energy and Water Development Subcommittee. Thanks in great part to his visionary leadership, this nation continued its wise investment in the infrastructure necessary to support inland navigation during his tenure. The Water Resources Development Act of 2000 authorized the John T. Myers Locks Improvement Project. This work will extend the 600‑foot x 110‑foot auxiliary lock chamber to a 1200‑foot lock. This will give the project twin 1200‑foot locks for efficient movement of projected increases in tow traffic, and will enable the facility to manage traffic during main lock closures without significant delays to navigation.