The former Nike D-54/55 site is a formerly used defense site located in Riverview, Wayne County, Michigan.
The site was operated by the U.S. Army between 1955 and 1963. The site was comprised of two non-contiguous parcels, a launch area and a control area. Nike D-54/55 was deactivated in 1964 and the missiles were subsequently removed. The city of Riverview acquired the approximately 22-acre launch area in 1965. In 1976, it was operated by the city of Riverview as a landfill for mill scale, filter cake, and other inorganic industrial waste from a nearby steel mill. The site was capped and closed in 1978. A park was constructed on the site with athletic fields and picnic areas.
The former approximately 21 acre control area of the Nike D-54/55 site was purchased from the government by a private entity who constructed a nursing home on the property.
Congress established the Defense Environmental Restoration Program/Formerly Used Defense Site (DERP/FUDS) program to clean up properties that were under the jurisdiction of the Secretary and owned, leased, or possessed by the United States and transferred from Department of Defense (DoD) control prior to Oct. 17, 1986. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) manages the FUDS program.
- Four underground storage tanks and two drums were removed from within Patriots Park and Rivergate Terrace in August and September 2006. Based on the chemical analysis of contents in each tank and historical information regarding their use, it was determined that the tanks were used to store fuel oil.
- Approximately 24,144 gallons of liquid were also removed from within these tanks. Approximately 1,377 cubic yards of soil and concrete debris were removed from the excavation sites around the underground storage tanks in August and September 2006.
- Site restoration activities were completed at both properties, which consisted of laying down top soil and seed matting, and concrete and asphalt replacement.