Home > Missions > Civil Works > Recreation > Lakes > Brookville Lake

Brookville Lake

10064 Overlook Road
Brookville, IN 47012-7741
Telephone 765-647-6701
Office hours: M-F, 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM pm (may vary, call ahead)

VIEW LAKE LEVELS: http://lrl-apps.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/reports/lkreport.html 

Brookville Lake DNR's website at:  http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2961.htm 

BLUE-GREEN ALGAE ADVISORY INFORMATION:

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/WaterInformation/HABs.aspx  OR   http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/files/sp-BlueGreenAlgae.pdf

 

Collapse All Expand All
Welcome to the Brookville Lake website. The lake is located in Franklin and Union counties on the East Fork of the Whitewater River. The dam is about one-half mile above Brookville, Indiana, and 36 miles northwest of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Brookville Lake exists as a cooperative management effort between the Corps of Engineers and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The 5,260 acre lake provides flood reduction and a whole lot more. The Brookville Region offers many opportunities to enjoy wildlife or recreate in the great outdoors. The menu on the right leads to specific recreation and other lake information.

Brookville Lake lies in the heart of the Whitewater River Valley. This area has long been acknowledged as one of the most picturesque and historically significant in the state of Indiana.

The earliest settlers of the region encountered several Indiana tribes, notable the Miamis, the Delawares and the Illinois. The hills and valleys along the Whitewater River were favorite resorts for hunting. However, the Indians abandoned their claims on much of the region as early as 1795, following the signing of the Treaty of Greenville.

During the next decade, the Whitewater Valley was settled in the earnest. Attracted by the pure abundant water and the rich, level, river bottoms, ideally suited for farming, a constant stream of settlers found their way up the Whitewater Valley from Kentucky and Ohio. Many of the family names of the early pioneers have been permanently fixed to the landmarks and cities of the area, including the towns of Connersville and Dunlapsville, as well as Templeton and Hanna Creeks.

The town of Brookville was officially born in 1808. During the early expansion days, Brookville became the cultural and political center of Indiana. During the period of 1825 through 1840, every governor of Indiana called Brookville his home. However, following the transfer of the State Land Office from Brookville to Indianapolis in the 1820s, the growth and development of the Whitewater Valley stagnated.

In 1834, the construction of the Whitewater Canal was initiated. Running a total length of 101 miles, the Canal was the most important means of transportation of the period.

Connect with us

Email Us