The Newburgh Locks and Dam is located on the Ohio River near Newburgh, Indiana, at mile 776.1 below Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is about 16 miles upstream from Evansville, Indiana. The Navigation locks are located on the right descending bank or Indiana side of the river. The upper pool maintained above the dam extends upstream for a distance of 55.4 miles to the Cannelton Locks and Dam at mile 720.7.
Newburgh Locks and Dam was authorized as a replacement for existing Locks and Dams 46 and 47 on April 24, 1962, by Secretary of the Army under authority of Section 6 of the Rivers and Harbors Act approved March 3, 1909.
Newburgh Locks’ construction began in June 1966. The locks were placed in operation in December 1969. Dam construction began in June 1970, and was completed in 1975. The most significant change was an addition of a Centralized Control Station on top of the Operations Building in 1980. Lock operators perform a major portion of the lock and dam operations from the Central Control Station.